Russian Bee Colony Defense
- It has been observed that the Russian colony is more defensive during the first brood rearing cycle.
- At SMF we rarely smoke the hives during inspection.
- The hive is generally quiet when gently manipulated.
- Each colony will have its own unique temperament for the day.
- A falling barometric pressure seems to aggravate the colony.
- Russians need to be kept in their own bee yard to prevent aggressive and aggrevated colonies. Bees from a mixed yard will rob each other and produce less honey.
“Nobody around here had ever seen a lady beekeeper till her. She liked to tell everybody that women made the best beekeepers, ’cause they have a special ability built into them to love creatures that sting. It comes from years of loving children and husbands.”
— Sue Monk Kidd (The Secret Life of Bees: (Penguin Essential Edition)
“After you get stung, you can’t get unstung no matter how much you whine about it.”
— Sue Monk Kidd (The Secret Life of Bees)